Join us for the first ever Elk County Council on the Arts Chalk the Walk sidewalk art contest! Held the last Saturday in July on the date of the Ridgway Firemen's Parade, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Ridgway Fire Department.
Everyone is welcome to participate. Cash prizes will be awarded to a first place winner and a runner up. The deadline to register is July 27. Please read all contest details and rules below.
8:00 – 8:30 AM, Artists or group representatives check in at the tent on the sidewalk near the Elk County Council on the Arts Gallery, 237 Main Street
8:00 – 11:00 AM, Artists chalk the walk. The public is invited to view artists work
11:00 AM, Judges view completed artwork
Noon, First place and runner up squares will be marked
$10 registration fee per square for artists age 10+ to cover materials. The remainder of proceeds will be donated to the Ridgway Fire Department. Cash only please. Pre-registration is required before 5PM July 24, and payment will be accepted during check in.
A chalk set including 9 colors will be provided if desired. Artists are welcome to bring their own chalk. Only non-oil based washable chalk may be in your design. No paints, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels, etc. will be allowed. Other items artists may wish to bring include knee pads, a grid, ruler, stencil or pattern for design.
Cash prizes will be given to one first place winner and one runner up. The first place prize will be $50 cash or $50 ECCOTA gift certificate, winner’s preference. One runner up wins $25 cash or $25 ECCOTA gift certificate, winner’s preference. Artists need not be present to win. Awards will be mailed to the address provided with registration.
- Contest is open to artists and artist groups of all ages. If under 18, a parent/guardian must be present.
- Only non-oil based washable chalk may be in your design. No paints, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels, etc. will be allowed.
- Designs must not exceed beyond their designated square. The square will be approximately 4'x4'. If your design is not a square it must fit inside the 4'x4' square.
- Artist(s) may sign their work using chalk.
- All artwork must be appropriate for public viewing by all ages; no lewd, graphic violence, gore, nudity.
- No political messages, words or symbols intended as advertising may appear in the image or space provided. If any image is determined to be objectionable, we reserve the right to remove it.
- Digital photos will be taken. ECCOTA reserves the right to use photographs for marketing, promotion and publicity purposes.
- Organizers have the right to disqualify and/or remove any inappropriate art or writing as they deem necessary.
- Spaces will be assigned on first come first served basis.
- Official judging based on a 1-5 scale on first impression, creativity, originality, skill and use of color. Decision of the judges are final.
- Organizers are not responsible for damage or defacing of artwork.
All attempts will be made to hold the Chalk the Walk event. In the event of inclement weather, please check the Elk County Council on the Arts facebook page for notices.
If you have questions or need more information please contact the Elk County Council on the Arts Gallery, 814-772-7051.
List coming soon!
- REGISTER NOW -